Sunday, February 19, 2006

Samoas and Thin Mints and Trefoils, Oh My!

Consumer alert: The Girl Scouts are out in force, peddling their wares to an unsuspecting community incapable of saying “no”. With a network of stations set up at strategic locations throughout the city, these cunning and ruthless salespersons will stop at nothing. Incredibly cute, extremely polite, and impossible to ignore, these little humans eagerly await their prey, pouncing when adult humans are within firing range. I, myself, was hit twice on Sunday. Stopping at the Burlingame Fred Meyer to purchase some envelopes, the little devils were cute as buttons. One went so far as to say “Thank you for supporting the Girl Scouts of America.” Is that over the top or what?!

Of course, I made the mistake of thinking that since I had bought one box of their cookies, I was safe from their persuasive powers should we meet again. This notion was tested moments later when I stopped off at Zupan’s for some cocoa (for brownies, ‘cuz, you know, after you buy cookies you still need to bake brownies). I threw a cursory “In a second,” call over my shoulder as I swept past three of them, adorned in their Girl Scout gear, into the store. I was triumphant. This success lasted for the tiniest of moments, and then I was in line asking for cash back in order to purchase another box on my way out. I can only assume the girls have been coached in the ways of the Jedi and somehow mind-tricked me into buying another box. With a slight wave of their teensy hands, I imagine they must have said “These are the cookies you’re looking for,” whilst I traipsed past in all of my purported non-cookie-buying glory.

No comments: