Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar Revisited

The internet is great because I accidentally-on purpose missed the Academy Awards and three seconds later I was able to find out who won and what they were wearing when they walked down the red carpet. I'm here to pay my respect to the winners I care about --

Performance by an actor in a leading role: Ah, Philip Seymour Hoffman, you've come a long way my friend. I kind of thought you had peaked in Along Comes Polly. I haven't seen your performance in Capote but I want you to know, I'm proud of you, I really am.

Performance by an actor in a supporting role: George, even with that beard you're still hot. Not as hot as your ER days but there's some heat there, for sure.

Performance by an actress in a leading role: Reese, I heard your next paycheck for a movie is going to be upwards of $29,000,000. Wow! I haven't seen Walk the Line yet but I loved the trailer when it shows you closing the door in Cash's face saying "Baby, baby, baby."

Performance by an actress in a supporting role: The Constant Gardner is one of the few films I have seen - it was great and you were great and now the people who pegged you as "just another pretty face" can eat crow.

Best animated feature film of the year: Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit...um, crap, I haven't seen this one either.

Best documentary feature: I don't typically watch documentaries but I did catch March of the Penguins and it was awesome. I even managed to drag my husband to the theatre.

Achievement in directing: Ang Lee for Brokeback Moutain - It was a solidly good movie.

Best motion picture of the year: I caught Crash on dvd and it was great. If you haven't seen this one, I highly recommend it. But don't think this will be an easy film to watch. My hat's off to Matt Dillon as the rascist cop and Thandie Newton as the victim of his hate.

No comments: