Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Ship Made of Paper

A Ship Made of Paper earns a 2.5. (I explained my book ratings last month.) This book made me think of the following quote from Sir Walter Scott "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" Daniel, a small town boy turned big city lawyer turned small town lawyer, is living with his girlfriend and her daughter. They are together in the understanding that they expect what they have from each other - stability, security, predictability. This all changes when Daniel realizes he has developing feelings for the wife of another. The novel is a bit verbose at times but the haunting portrayal of a man consumed by desire presents an interesting dichotomy as I found myself sympathizing with his pain and hating his selfishness.

No comments: