Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Freakonomics

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything earns a 2. Although I'm not sure my ratings really apply in this instance as it isn't the typical book read by the person of female persuasion at Life at the condo (i.e., me). That being said, this is a fascinating book that playfully attacks conventional wisdom while it uncovers new answers to questions you might have pondered yourself from time to time. When you want to know why the 1990s experienced a significant drop in crime, you don't immediately think "I know. It's because that one lady fought to get abortion rights for all women." Steven Levitt, economist-extraordinaire, is the person responsible for asking and then answering the right questions. Did you know a pool is more dangerous to a child than a gun you have in your home? Did you realize cheating exists in Sumo wrestling? Did you know somebody once named her child "Shithead"? (Pronounced "Shuh-teed," but still...). As Levitt himself explains, there is no unifying theme to this book, but who cares? The book, co-written with Stephen Dubner from The New York Times, is a speedy romp through a topic I had traditionally considered to be quite boring and uninspired (i.e., economics - boy was I wrong!). Of course, since I've learned that "Catherine" as an appealing baby name of mine has almost hit the overpopularized zone, I may have to start thinking of a replacement. (Not that Darr and I are trying to get pregnant. We're not. But when you work at a baby boutique and the majority of women you know are pregnant, were recently pregnant, or are trying to get pregnant you can't help but think about baby names.) Definitely pick this book up. Definitely read it. Definitely enjoy it. I did.

No comments: