Friday, September 14, 2007

The Bright Forever

This book gets a rating of 2. I grabbed this book from Costco a few weeks ago when I saw the little "Pulitzer Prize Finalist for Fiction" sticker on the front cover. I don't always agree with the Pulitzer Prize pics - I absolutely HATED Michael Cunningham's The Hours - but I was intrigued by the enigmatic description on the back.
"On an evening like any other, nine-year-old Katie Mackey...sets out on her bicycle to return some library books.
This simple act is at the heart of The Bright Forever, a suspenseful, deeply affecting novel about the choices people make that change their lives forever."
What happens to nine-year-old Katie? How does their choices change their lives forever? The suspense is helped along with chapters short enough you can read an entire one while brushing your teeth. Martin gives each character a unique voice to relate the events of that summer, in particular the days leading up to and following from the night Katie hops on her bike and heads to the library. I want to say more but I don't want to give away too much of the book so I'll leave you now. Go forth and read this book.

No comments: