Sunday, January 06, 2008

I can't believe it took us this long

Considering how long we've been on the planet as fry-eating humans, it is amazing it took us this long to get a deep fryer. This past Christmas, mom and dad bought me a Presto Fry Daddy and yesterday, while hanging out with the kid at the condo, we took that lovely device out for a test drive. We didn't have any vegetable oil but, thanks to Darr's knowledge of Mario Batali's cooking methods, we were able to confidently substitute olive oil. Fry we did, my friends, fry we did. And the French fries turned out fabulously. Golden, delicious potato goodness. For me, the best part is that they taste exactly like the ones my mom used to make when we were growing up. Yum.

4 comments:

Darren said...

mmmmm. wanna make some fries tonight?

Noir said...

Ooh! We need to get a deep fryer. For christ's sake, we're bigger than trucks and we don't have a fryer! Makes me crave homemade onion rings.

Dr. A said...

Take it from a previous experiment: while most everything deep-fried is delicious there are serious exceptions. Battered Oreos, yes. Pig uterus, no.

VDog said...

I made my first fries not long ago -- I however do not have a fry daddy and had to use a cheap ass pan (pot? I think it was a sauce pot...).
And being a cheap ass I went half olive oil ($$$) half peanut oil ($).

Mmm....fries....