Saturday, May 31, 2008

Oh, Canada - The long drive north

Driving to Canada from Portland takes about six hours. It takes even longer when you are driving with a baby. Henry did surprisingly well during the long trek north. And he did even better when we were finally in Canada and could escape the confines of the car. We got settled into our room and then met up with my friend, Jessica, to tour the neighborhood, hop the ferry to Granville Island, and get some dinner. The place, Vera's Burger Shack. Ordinarily this would not be news. People eat burgers all the time. Except me. I tried my first burger about two years ago. Darren made one on the grill for me. At home. I had complete assembly control, which means no condiments, no crazy lettuce or tomatoes (I don't understand why someone would put cold veggies on a hot bun, makes no sense!) - just meat, cheese, and bun. Anyway, it was good and I have since consumed nearly ten burgers. Vera's is a new experience because in order to eat a burger from that establishment I had to give up complete assembly control and trust the people constructing said hamburger wouldn't just throw some mayonnaise or (god forbid) mustard on it. Ewww. This was a rather long winded way of saying I enjoyed the burger but was somewhat dismayed when Darren told me it was exceptionally good as far as burgers go and that he knew of no such place in Portland for us to get tasty burgers. If anyone has suggestions, feel free to share them with us so I may continue this burger-eating trend. Darr and Jessica consumed a huge tray of poutine. This is a rather odd culinary masterpiece. Comprised of French fries, cheese curds, and gravy, poutine brings you one step closer to a heart attack. I had a bite and it wasn't bad but I don't know if I have the stomach to eat this dish on a regular basis. Henry munched on some French fries, too. He seemed rather fond of them, further proof that he is, indeed, my child. Not that that whole birthing experience left any real doubt. Toward the end of the evening Darr took Henry down to our room so Jess and I could chat about girlie stuff that holds little interest for a baby. The little guy was so tuckered out from his first day in Canada he was asleep when I showed up.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I love burgers - but my favorites are the ones Mike makes. I usually don't care for them at restruants.