Saturday, July 05, 2008

Gas price memories

I have a vague memory of a time when asking the gas station attendant for $5 worth of gas meant you could get enough gas to drive around for another week without worrying about emptying the tank. Two weeks ago we got a loaner Mini while Sophie was getting some work done - power steering went out - and being the cheapskate that I can sometimes be, I didn't want to return the car to the dealership with a full tank of gas, particularly not after learning it wasn't full when we picked it up. So, I'm driving around and the stupid light comes on to inform me the tank is running low and I stop at a gas station and ask for $5 worth of gas. For a brief moment I had forgotten that we're nearly paying $5 per gallon. And then I have to calculate if that will be enough for the remaining driving I have to do before returning the car. <sigh>

2 comments:

Amber said...

I couldn't help but laugh at this post... when we were in high school, we'd all chip in so that our friend could get $5 worth of gas, enough to last her about a week. There were also lots of times we'd get $2 or $3 at a time. I can't imagine what a gas station attendant would say to that now!

Cynthia said...

Good Lord, I remember those days too...What a bummer gas is now:(