Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Space

I have nearly 40GB worth of photos on my computer right now. It's too soon to buy a new computer and it is unlikely that a new one would have much more space than my current laptop. (Molly's only a year and a half old.) So, Darr has done a bit o' research and told me what I need to do when I get to the Apple store - 1. Don't buy a new computer; B) Buy a new hard drive and ask them to show me how to archive the photos on the new drive; c. Don't purchase an iPhone as my current phone works fine. Still. Bastard phone.

I wouldn't be in this predicament if I could just bring myself to delete a picture every now and then. But I can't. 'Cuz once I delete it, it's gone. And I will never have another Henry again and he is so frickin' cute ALL of the time, even in his goofy moments, that the thought of missing even one bad photo of him breaks my heart. I hear, in the event you have a second child (or third, fourth, etc.) this trend lessens. I imagine by the fifth kid you no longer even bother owning a camera, but Henry may be our only kid - unless Darr can guarantee me a girl or give birth himself, and every moment is priceless even if it's blurry, the angle's all wrong, the shadow takes out half his face, he's a snot-rocket, etc.

6 comments:

B. E. Busby said...

Why not write the pictures to DVDs?

That would be 10 disks you could store at someplace like the various parental units which distributes any risk of loss.

Then buy an external hard drive (500GB w/firewire runs around 110$ @ Fry's) and put most of the ones not in the "can't live without it for a day" category to the external drive only. Now you're double covered!

Christie said...

That seems like a fine idea. Husband?

Amber said...

I second the idea of burning them to DVD/CD. I catalog all my original photos by month and then burn 4 copies (crazy, I know). One for us, and one for each of the kids. It's still hard to hit delete.

B. E. Busby said...

Forgot to mention that this process I've recommended doesn't but a fscking dime in the turtle-necked one's ever-so-freakin'-deep pocket.

(Yes, I'm offended by the whole Apple Zombie Empire)... it's a frigging PC running BSD with annoying, hopping icons added for wallet-extraction purposes.

Andrew said...

Just to follow up on my wife's comment...Amber doesn't just burn her photos every month. She has an extensive process:

First, store all photos for the month in its own folder on her desktop.

Second, at the end of the month, upload all pictures in the folder to scrapbookpictures.com.

Third, order prints for each photo (one for each child that appears in the picture).

Fourth, when the pictures arrive in the mail, sort them out and put them, in the order that they were taken, into the most recent volume of photo albums for each child (again, each child gets a copy of each photo in which he or she appears).

Fifth, burn four CDs, each with a copy of all of the pictures for that month, and put one copy into each CD case (one for each child, and one for us).

Finally, delete the pictures off of the computer.

It's all very good because I wouldn't take any pictures, and if I did they would be scattered around in different folders on our computer, on random CDs, etc. So I'm glad she is so organized. But I sure wouldn't want to be the one carrying out that process...

Mary Jo said...

Forget the logistics, the sentiments are what hit me with this post. Once the pics are gone, they're gone! (cute even in the blurry ones) I hear ya!