Sunday, August 03, 2008

I feel like baking

I want to spend the entire day in the kitchen. I won't, of course, but I'd like to. For now, we'll just have to settle for munching on the brownies I made earlier. And, if we get motivated, we'll go down to the river where there is an abundance of blackberries ripe for picking and get enough for me to make a blackberry pie. It'll be a first for me. I've never made blackberry pie before. Do I dare go it alone sans recipe? I'm guessing I would need a touch of sugar (perhaps a quarter cup?) and maybe some lemon zest, a tablespoon or two of flour, and lots of berries. Big heaping piles of berries. Oh, and we'll also need some heavy cream and milk so I can make homemade ice cream. Because you can't have pie without ice cream. I know there are some people who eat pie without ice cream but they are eating pie wrong. And now, I've got to go make us some grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. Maybe it's the weather. It's easier to stand in a hot kitchen when it's relatively cold outside.

2 comments:

Jen said...

yum! I have started having blackberries with pretty much every meal! pie isn't that bad, berries and sugar, and you will get it right :)
We had fish with orange and blackberry salsa for dinner last night too....
I've been telling Craig I am going back to my caveman roots and foraging in the wild for dinner ;)

Dr. A said...

Need any tasters?