Monday, August 04, 2008

Recipe Corner: Blackberry Pie

husband + baby + blackberry field = mom making pie

I'm sort of cheating and just giving you the filling part of the recipe. Odds are you have a good pie crust recipe already. (If you don't, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.) This was my first lattice-top pie ever and it turned out surprisingly well, if I can take a moment to pat myself on the back. <insert moment of back patting here> All the recipes I found online called for a lot more sugar. I preferred to have a pie with a touch more tartness that I could then curb with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Ingredients:
6 cups blackberries
3/4 cup sugar (plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling on pie crust)
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 egg white, lightly beaten

Directions:
Place baking sheet in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Toss berries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and butter together. Let stand, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Pour berry mixture into pie crust and top with remaining dough, using the lattice-top if so desired. Roll up and crimp edge. Brush top of crust with egg white and sprinkle over with sugar.

Bake on hot baking sheet (to catch any and all juices) until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling, approximately one hour. (Check pie after 45 minutes. If edge of crust is browning too quickly, cover edge with foil or pie crust shield and continue baking. Cool completely on a rack before serving.

8 comments:

Brian said...

I'm Brian McFeely, and I approve this pie.

Amber said...

I've heard good things about it too. You're so nice to share (recipe & actual pie).

Were you parked at 10th & Hoyt this afternoon, 12:30ish? Methinks that was your mini I saw.

Miss Amelia Jane. said...

Yum! When can we get together for dinner and child cuteness?

Dr. A said...

Looks scrumptious! Was the ice cream homemade as well?
Very impressive!

Andrew said...

I'm a big pie fan (especially for breakfast), and that was good pie. I think I speak for all of Darren's coworkers when I say, please, please, keep the baked goods coming. Especially the pie and those chocolate-peanut-buttery things. Mmmm...I need some desert.

Christie said...

I was parked at 10th and Hoyt. Met a friend and her daughter for a project we're doing with the kids. And then purchased a laptop bag from Patagonia for school, which starts in 15 days. Egads!

Christie said...

Yes, the ice cream was homemade but it is the easiest recipe on the earth - milk, cream, vanilla extract, and sugar.

Christie said...

Madame Megan,

Looks like Sunday, Aug 10, and Saturday, Aug 16 are currently open.