Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Recipe Corner: Nanaimo Bars

Take a little chocolate, some sugar, butter, more chocolate, a dash of butter, sugar, chocolate, and more sugar, combine with a few other ingredients, and you come out with Canada's premier triple-layer treat, the Nanaimo Bar (pronounced "Nah-nigh-mo"). According to Wikipedia, the origins are up for grabs. There is a fringe group of New Yorkers who think this heavenly dessert originated in New York and is referred to as "New York Slices". I say, who cares? The treat is good, eat it.

Ingredients:
First layer (a.k.a. the crust)
2 cups crushed graham crackers
1 cup coconut
5 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts*
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Second layer (a.k.a. the filling)
1/4 cup soft butter
3 tablespoons vanilla pudding powder**
2 tablespoons milk (add more slowly if mixture is too thick)
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Third layer (a.k.a. mmm...chocolate)
4-5 ounces of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Directions:
First layer

Line an 8x8 pan with tinfoil and set aside. Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Stir the egg, butter, and sugar in a double boiler over barely boiling water until combined and butter is melted. Remove from heat and add dry ingredients. Add the vanilla. Stir well. Spread in pan and chill in the refrigerator.

Second layer
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix using paddle attachment until smooth and creamy. If mixture is too thick, add more milk, a half teaspoon at a time. Do not use too much milk or the filling will squish out of the bar when you are eating it. You do not want to waste the buttery, sugary filling. Trust me. Spread on first layer and chill.

Third layer
Melt chocolate and butter. Allow to cool slightly, then spread over second layer and chill. Note: To avoid having cracks in your top layer of chocolate, cut the bars before the chocolate is completely set.

*The recipe I received from Darr's mom called for walnuts but I prefer pecans. Other recipes I've seen use almonds. Take your pick or try a batch using each nut to see which is to your liking.

**Bird's Custard Powder is the trick to getting the creamiest filling. Do not, I repeat, do not try to substitute Jello Pudding for Bird's. It will not work.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I sure hope you can get that Bird's Custard Pudding somewhere other than Amazon.

Sounds yummy. If Darren ever happens to bring any to work, let me know so I can reserve some for myself. :)

Dr. A said...

Oh, thank you so much for the recipe! I remember Brian brining these home a few months ago.... had to stop myself from eating them all at once.

Yum!

plumpy said...

By the way, last night I had some friends over for dinner and I made that Torta al Limone you posted back at the beginning of the month. I topped it with some lemon-vanilla syrup. It was super tasty! Thanks!

(In fact, I think I might go have another slice right now...)

Christie said...

Amber,
I think Cost Plus sells it. And at least one of the other snooty markets like Whole Foods or Market of Choice.

Ms. A,
Darr was mortified I posted the recipe but since there are already a gazillion nanaimo bars recipes out there I am hardly giving away trade secrets.

Plumpy,
That recipe is one of my favorites. The only part I find truly annoying is having to add the beaten eggs one tablespoon at a time. Enjoy that slice.