Monday, November 24, 2008

Turkey prep underway

Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching so today, after Monsieur Henry woke up from his nap, we headed to the grocery store to begin the collection of items necessary to pull together a feast on Thursday. Usually there is one or two ingredients I think I have that I discover I don't so I estimate another two trips will be made before I have everything I need. You'd think because it's only the three of us and Darr's dad the holiday would be relatively easy to put together but we're still preparing a feast. This year's menu includes the following:

main course

roast turkey
giblet pan gravy
mashed potatoes
cornbread stuffing
seared green beans*
dinner rolls

dessert
pumpkin pie
lemon meringue pie

drinks
butterbeer (hot chocolate and butterscotch schnapps)
wine (something red)
Scotch (for the boys, Henry not included)
milk

My favorite part of Thanksgiving, you know, besides getting together with family and celebrating the deliverance of the English settlers by Native Americans after the brutal winter at Plymouth, Massachusetts, is the leftovers. Turkey rocks.

*Heard a recipe for seared green beans on All Things Considered this afternoon and decided to try it out rather than have the brussel sprouts and bacon concoction we made for Henry's first Thanksgiving feast.

5 comments:

Steenhuis Clan Member said...

wow... that's so close to our menu except the gravy is caramalized onion and we do chestnut stuffing.
Same green bean recipe though. Too funny.
And we're all stocked up here too thanks to still being on Florida time. Work early, get off early, shop before the crowds. Gotta love it.

Rachele said...

We are having a similar menu. Except, we ARE doing the brussel sprouts. :) We have nine people so I am also adding a pear/walnut salad as well as glazed carrots and parsnips. I am trying cornbread dressing for the first time this year. I love the thanksgiving feast!

Amber said...

Nothing better than Thanksgiving dinner. Mashed potatoes and stuffing, could it get any better?

No matter how hard I try, I always end up at the store at 8pm on Wednesday... along with a billion other people.

Abcdpdx said...

I was a little annoyed at Ms. Katzen's apparent disdain for ye old green bean casserole, but those seared green beans sure sounded good.

mmmm! butterbears--what a fantastic idea!

Dr. A said...

Ditto with the menu with the following additions/modifications: sauteed greenbeans with mushrooms, creamed spinach, crab cakes & green salad as a 1st course, arranged salad caprese. Estimated trips to grocery stores: 5.

And leftovers are the best! ATK has a fantastic skillet Turkey Tetrazinin recipe. Did a test run Sat night. In the words of Zozopdx, "It's like hamburger helper for grownups."