Wednesday, December 17, 2008

An Endoscopy Story

This morning I woke up way early but it was okay because I had to be at the hospital for an upper endoscopy, also known as an esophagogastroduodenoscopy. After I was admitted, I was stripped to the bone, 'cept for my festive socks and diaper, and given a large shirt to put on. I think whoever made it measured the fabric wrong because I felt a breeze and my mum said my backside was visible for all to see.
Before the doctor showed up, I was given a drug the nurse likened to baby valium. I gotta be honest, it made me feel a little bit loopy, folks. I had to sit down.Then my parents walked with me to another room where I was sedated. I don't remember much of what came next but the doc did have some cool shots that he took of my esophagus, stomach, and small intestine. That must be one wicked small camera.The procedure lasted about 40 minutes and then I slept for a tad before the sedative wore off. When that happened I was sure glad to see my parents. But it felt weird still. I was a little woozy.
Finally, we got to ride the OHSU tram down the mountain. You can see a lot of cars from that high. So my parents didn't miss 'em, I made sure to point them out when I could.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Isn't technology crazy? In at 6:30, sedation, pics of the esophagus, and home blogging by 12:30. I'm so glad to hear all went well. I hope the results are good (and that they come back soon)!!

Lori said...

Henry, you are one brave little dude! I think they built that tram strictly as a reward for boys such as yourself. I hope this test brought some answers and that you feel better soon!

Cathy said...

Good thing you pointed out those cars to your parents. We can be a little clueless sometimes.
And you were so brave! I hope your mom and dad managed to be so brave with you!

Dr. A said...

Wow! Look at those clean little insides. Henry, you are the bravest little boy.

Abcdpdx said...

I used to intern for the pain clinic at AR Children's Hospital; they were doing a big study involving kids going into the endoscopy suite! The reason I joined the study was because I wanted to do the working with the kids before the endoscopy part, but instead they had me digging through medical records for research minutiae. Which ended my career in endoscopies. But I know what's involved in one, and am impressed with brave little Henry.