Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Recipe Corner: Mini Frittatas with Mushrooms

I hosted my second brunch for mommies yesterday and we were joined by Amber, Miss Josie, Megan, and Miss Avery. I must say Henry is lucky to have some of the cutest girlfriends ever. I am hoping this early introduction to girls doesn't predispose him to become a gigolo. And probably he shouldn't go into puberty thinking it is this easy to get girls to come over and lift up their shirts. 

I had hoped to cook up some carb-happy pancake/waffle/crêpe-type treat but, alas, ran out of time. So we were left to munch on mini frittatas, fruit salad, fried potatoes, and bacon. Since mom-Megan asked, here's the recipe for the frittatas. This tried and true recipe comes from my friend and American expatriate, Jessica. (She was my next door dorm neighbor when I attended Linfield. Waddup, South Hall!) Anyway, there is cheese and cheese, some mushrooms, and cheese. They are good, although mine were slightly overcooked - whoops. 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups minced Portobello mushrooms, discard stems
8 eggs
salt and pepper
1/2 cup cream cheese, diced small
3/4 cup grated mozzarella
1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions:
Sauté the mushrooms in a skillet over medium heat until softened. Remove from heat and set aside. In a bowl, beat the eggs and add salt and pepper. Stir in the cheeses, cream, and mushrooms. 
Pour into oiled mini-muffin pans. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and firm. Note: You can use regular muffin pans, too. I just watch for doneness a tad more closely.

Servings 36

2 comments:

Amber said...

Serves 36??? That's my kind of recipe! Christie, these were seriously delicious. I never would have guessed there were mushrooms, though. But still... so, so good.

Abcdpdx said...

dang, I'm so sorry I missed it!