Wednesday, March 04, 2009

PaperBack Swap

After reading about PaperBack Swap on Megan's blog I went momentarily insane pulling all the books off our shelves to sort through them. A Herculean task to be sure. There were quite a few that I was willing to part with and PaperBack Swap offers an interesting method of recycling. Basically, you enter the info for the books you want to swap on their site (this involves using the ISBN number). A person checks out your list, finds a book that he/she likes, and sends a request. You print out the handy label, wrap up said book, and send it to the person. Once that person receives the book, you receive a credit that you can then use to get a new book from some other member. (You get two free credits after entering ten of your own books.) Tonight I entered in over 60 books. I've already received two requests and there are another eight on hold while PBS confirms those folks have enough credits. For now, membership is free but when I signed up it did mention in the future there would likely be a yearly fee (somewhere in the $10-$20 range). Oh, and the books you get you can keep forever or swap again. I'll reserve my final judgment for a few weeks so the books I requested have time to make their way here. 

3 comments:

Dr. A said...

Such a great idea!

Now if I actually read books. . . My yearly total to date: 3. Pathetic! Maybe someone will devise a "pamphlet swap".

Christie said...

Why so little reading? It's not like you've got a kid, job, and research paper to write up and defend for your doctorate.

Oh wait...

Perhaps they should come up with a "synopsis of the book swap".

Abcdpdx said...

I'm on paperback swap! there's a lot of crap available, but I've found some good stuff, too. it's like shopping at a thrift store! I just mailed off two books today! between that and the library it's a very thrifty plan for having a nice pile of books on the nightstand.