Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Photography practice: Holiday shooting at night

Well, this exercise illustrates my need for a tripod. Notice the shot with the three second shutter speed. Now count out three seconds and look again. I'm pretty impressed it is as sharp as it is as I'm pretty jittery.
Shutter 0.4 Aperture f/3.8 ISO 400 20mm

Shutter 1/2 Aperture f/3.8 ISO 400 22mm

Shutter 0.77 Aperture f/3.8 ISO 400 22mm

Shutter 1 Aperture f/3.8 ISO 400 20mm

Shutter 2 Aperture f/3.8 ISO 400 22mm

Shutter 3 Aperture f/3.8 ISO 400 20mm

Last night we hit the Oregon Zoo Lights, and spent all of twenty minutes there. It was too dang cold and Henry peed his pants. It was nearly impossible to find a bathroom in the dark with so many people milling about. There was still enough time to take a couple of shots of the lights, and the back of Henry as he walked off into the crowd.
Shutter 1/40 Aperture f/1.4 ISO 1600

Shutter 1/40 Aperture f/1.4 ISO 800

Shutter 1/40 Aperture f/1.4 ISO 1600

4 comments:

Amber said...

I'm too lazy to look for a link right now, but I've been thinking about getting a... it's either called a monopod or a unipod, I can never remember which. My FIL has one (he actually never uses it so maybe I'll just "borrow" his) and it almost looks like a pogo stick. It has a rubber foot and it's just a stick that you hold your camera on, instead of a bulky tripod. Wouldn't work to set up shots with a timer, but much more practical than a tripod.

Amber said...

Great shots, by the way. I've been having a lot of fun shooting lights. We still haven't made it to Zoo Lights though. Bummer.

Miss Amelia Jane. said...

I missed the memo you were going!

Christie said...

Last minute decision and you didn't miss much.