Thursday, December 10, 2009

Pics of kids

I had the recent good fortune to be around these cute frickin' kids with my camera handy so pictures were taken.
Miss Avery, while visiting the condo for a play date earlier today.
Shutter 1/60 Aperture f/2.0 ISO 200 Flash
Jackson, the lighting at his parents' house is awesome.
Shutter 1/125 Aperture f/1.4 ISO 400
Lil' Zach, growing up and blowing bubbles!
Shutter 1/125 Aperture f/1.4 ISO 400
I was reading one of Scott Kelby's Digital Photography books earlier, I have the first two and just learned of a third, and he mentions that the sweet aperture spot for portrait shots is f/11. So I tried that today. It didn't work with Henry, who was an unwilling participant in the 'sit still so I can take a portrait shot' game. But it did work with Avery, who actually came close and looked into the lens when I asked if there was a ladybug inside it.
Shutter 1/60 Aperture f/11.0 ISO 200 Flash
For contrast, here's a shot with the aperture opened wide. Note the shorter depth of field, which has her nose in focus but pretty much everything else out of focus. Nice bokeh in the background, though, don't ya think?
Shutter 1/60 Aperture f/2.5 ISO 400

3 comments:

Dr. A said...

Oh yeah, it was the bokeh that caught my eye.

Megan said...

Wow - Avery looks so still in the ladybug picture. Since she is rarely that still in real life, it's rather surreal for me! Great pictures!

Amber said...

Beautiful!

(the kids and the photos)