Saturday, January 16, 2010

Julia Child, take 5 - Quiche Lorraine

We made Julia's cream and bacon quiche tonight for dinner, substituting ham for bacon because, well, we're still working our way through this guy. I don't know if I'd call this a complaint but I am rather troubled when recipes give you some latitude with their directions. Perhaps this is a result of using too many Cook's Illustrated recipes where they oft tell you the exact number of stirs counterclockwise you should make when mixing ingredients, and the rate of speed that one ingredient should be added into the others (typically 30 seconds). This recipe calls for
"3 eggs or 2 eggs and 2 yolks, 1 1/2 to 2 cups whipping cream or half cream and half milk,"
and all I want to know is which combination works best. (I used 3 eggs and 2 cups of whipping cream. Next time, I'd like to try 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks with 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream.) On another note, I'd probably just use a regular old pie plate in the future. I used a too-large cake pan and as a result the crust overwhelmed my poor little filling. The taste, though, was pretty good. Very creamy.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Wow. I need to figure out what my one meal to cook is going to be this month. I can promise I won't be able to follow a recipe that gives me choices! Choices??? I need to know how many times to stir...