Saturday, March 27, 2010

Take our country back from whom?

This op-ed piece by Charles Blow made me guffaw out loud when I got to this part:
"Even the optics must be irritating. A woman (Nancy Pelosi) pushed the health care bill through the House. The bill's most visible and vocal proponents included a gay man (Barney Frank) and a Jew (Anthony Weiner). And the black man in the White House signed the bill into law. It's enough to make a good old boy go crazy."

I understand frustration because I felt that emotion often during G.W. Bush's time in office. I'm glad that for a bit, I get a reprieve and can enjoy the things that are to come out of this administration, like health care for all (or at least way more people than previously covered). Say all you want about how the new system is likely to fail and we won't actually achieve universal health care. I'll respond with a hearty, let's at least give it a chance. Because up until this point, the insurance companies have been actively working against Americans, many of whom learned once sick their coverage wasn't going to help and millions who were left out of the insurance loop altogether.

I think of Henry when I think of insurance. And I think of how, if Darren had changed jobs or (Gods forbid) been laid off, Henry would not have been able to obtain insurance because of his preexisting condition. And he's two. I'm convinced that our system needs to go the way of other industrialized nations. Britain's system sounds good. Let's try that and if, in ten or twenty years, folks hate having access to health care, well then we can reassess and consider allowing the insurance companies with financial stakes in the outcomes make our medical decisions for us.
For a look at Britain's system, click here.

3 comments:

Dr. A said...

Agreed. Totally agreed.

Megan said...

Me = choir, you = preachin'.

Abcdpdx said...

yep. me too!