Thursday, May 13, 2010

Book twenty-four: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Since I borrowed this book from Ms. A before she read it (thank you!), and Ms. M is about 29% through her copy, I'm not going to say too much. It is certainly better than the jacket cover. I mean, seriously, this is how they sum it up?
"Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed."
Oy vey.
The material is a bit heavy to take on vacation but it is an easy and entertaining read. I envision women in book clubs across the country passing hankies around the room as they discuss the material. 24 down, 2 to go.

4 comments:

Megan said...

I'm now 75% of the way through it, so I should hopefully finish it today. Then I'm onto The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I saw this book several months ago, but didn't buy it for some reason. I'm so glad I finally did!

Christie said...

I wanted to get the Dragon book for vacation but it isn't available in the iBook store. <Grumble, grumble.)

Megan said...

It's absurd that it's available digitally on Kindle, but then not at iBook. Surely these discrepancies will right themselves within a few years, right?

Christie said...

I hope so. I got on the waiting list at the library. 691 need to get through it and then it's mine.