Monday, September 27, 2010

Book forty-seven: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

If this isn't the perfect type of book to read after the somewhat dense McEwan piece I don't know what is. Okay, so it is technically a young-adult book I'm still including it in my list because it's as good or better than a lot of the pulp fiction for adults and it's a long one, weighing in at 374 pages. The fact that I finished it in just over a day should illustrate the fast-paced nature of the story. I think reading this book has reinvigorated my motivation to read more. That's saying a lot given that the new fall shows have started up.

Collins creates an interesting post-global warming catastrophe world in which the people in the twelve remaining districts have more than their fair share of misery. Compared to the opulent and wealthy citizens fortunate enough to live in the Capitol, Katniss and her compatriots barely manage to eke out a living. Life is hard. Its cruel realities come with starvation and repression. When Katniss's younger sister is selected to participate in the yearly Hunger Games, Katniss makes the ultimate sacrifice. And I'm noticing now that it's late and my little write up sounds like the bad copy you read on the back of the book. Ugh. Ah well, I'm five books away from hitting a book a week for the year pace. Awesome. Many thanks to Amber for the loaner.

26 down, plus 21.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I'm working through the follow-up books now. Not quite as intense as HG but still very hard to put down, which has led to me being very tired today.