Sunday, September 05, 2010

Sunday luncheon

I got to ditch the kid for nearly six hours today to have lunch with my friend, Ann. She doesn't have kids so she probably doesn't understand how momentous an event this was for me. Even though Hen is in daycare two days a week, I rarely take half a day to go and do nothing but chat with friends. Evenings, yes, typically when it is an hour or two away from bed time. But during the day, I'm pretty much on the go even when Hen isn't around. So, yes, it was awesome. So awesome, in fact, that I even tried her potato salad. I tried her potato salad, people. Knowing that one of the ingredients was mustard. Egads. We gabbed about life, relationships, politics, you name it. And I even got to give a bottle of milk to her husband's baby goat. I had heard that often after you have kids your friends who don't usually fade into the quiet good night. It's hard to have a conversation with someone once their sole focus in life becomes their kids. (Let's face it, kids do kind of take over our lives, am I right?) But I'm happy that my childless friends have hung in there with me. Because it is nice to meet with them and hear about what life is like on the other side. To hear that the reason this one didn't get enough sleep last weekend wasn't because their kid was teething but because of all the raucous sex.

No comments: