Saturday, January 29, 2011

Book Two: A Painted House by John Grisham

A surprisingly nice departure from his regular lawyer-focused fiction. I made it through this one much faster than book one, although my goal this year is a bit different than last year. I certainly hope to read a lot but I also want to reread material, specifically The Norton Anthology of English Literature (7th ed./ Vol. 1). To give you a greater understanding of what this entails - for those not of the Eng. lit. background - I'm talking about 2898 bible-thin pages of some of the most amazing, canonical, beautiful, frustratingly obtuse prose and poetry ever written. I'm talking about Chaucer, Sir Thomas More, John Donne, Ben Jonson, Francis Bacon, Robert Herrick, Andrew Marvell, Milton, Pope, Swift, and many, many more. And, in the event I happen to finish this before midnight on the last day of the year, I shall start volume 2. Egads, that's a lot o' reading. Wish me luck.

No comments: