Thursday, January 19, 2012

This garbage disposal is clean

We had a very unpleasant smell emanating from our garbage disposal. It was an assault on the olfactory system. Thank goodness for Google. I typed in "how to get rid of garbage disposal smell" and found an answer. It was as simple as pouring a little baking soda and vinegar down the drain. Should you ever find yourself in the same situation with a similar unfortunate odor wafting through the kitchen and into all the little corners of your abode, here's what you should do.
  1. Sprinkle baking soda in your garbage disposal, enough for inside of the drain to be covered
  2. Pour half a cup of vinegar into the disposal
  3. Let sit for an hour
  4. Run cold water down the drain while running the disposal
VoilĂ ! The vinegar smell and the bad odor it was hiding will both be gone.

4 comments:

Miss Amelia Jane. said...

I've used lemon juice before too. My kitchen smells like spring cleaning for days!

Christie said...

Yeah. I tried the citrus first but it didn't work. :(

Amber said...

Do you think that would work in my car? Ever since the snow, there's a musty nasty stench in there. I was sure someone left a pair of wet shoes or something in there, but I don't see anything. Blech.

Christie said...

Even if you can't find the culprit, can you determine where the stench is most foul? My father-in-law has some outstanding stuff for odor removal. I'll get some for you.