Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Recipe Corner: Gelato allo yogurt e miele

Our friend, Svetla, recommended we try yogurt gelato and I sort of thought she was crazy. It seemed like a bad idea - yogurt ice cream, really? And then Darr and I went to Italy (and the Czech Republic and Austria) and while toodling around we tried lots of gelato. Sometimes we had to try it three times a day. And I finally broke down and ordered the yogurt gelato. It was frickin' amazing.

What better way to celebrate this day of love than to find a yogurt gelato recipe and get to work. (It requires a surprisingly small amount of work.) I discovered the recipe on an Italian woman's blog and it was in Italian. Thanks to Google Translate, this wasn't an obstacle to achieving gelato satisfaction. It is tart and sweet and so very yummy I insist you make this at some point in your life.

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups natural yogurt (I used Nancy's low fat, plain yogurt - I'd like to try the Greek Gods next time)
scant 1/4 cream
honey to taste (I added a lot because the yogurt was super tart)
2 tablespoons vanilla

Directions:
Mix all the ingredients together, pour into ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Enjoy! Or, you know, freeze it for later. Or enjoy! and freeze some for later.

1 comment:

Dr. A said...

Sounds really delicious!