Sunday, April 29, 2012

Month fifty-four

Dear Henry,

We survived our first official spring break. We did it without bolting from town or scheduling play dates for every second of every day. Translation, we hung out a lot together. I think you rather enjoy this kind of intense one-on-one time with your parent. I can't say I appreciate it as much as I should. I know one day I'll think back to these days and wish I had taken more pleasure in them but Hen it is hard to play sea creatures for five hours when you're an adult with a limited fascination of sea creatures. It just is. Besides, you're quite bossy for being one so little. You get as annoyed with me for not adhering to your finely tuned action sequence as I do when you tell me I can't end a story in the car. Of course I can end the story. I am the story teller. Plus, I have to keep my attention focused on the road so we do not get in a car wreck. I know the other drivers on the road greatly appreciate this.


You are becoming the shy, hide-behind-your-mama-when-approached-by-strangers boy. For whatever reason you are uncomfortable addressing adults you don't know. Trusted adults you are familiar with you have no problem talking to. But strangers, well, they make you feel uneasy and unsure of yourself in a way that is unusual given your natural openness. This unease evaporates if the stranger mentions a topic you're interested in. I'm convinced someone could easily lure you into his car with a "want to see my pet octopus" comment. Because, heck yeah, you want to see the octopus!


Passionate is how I would describe your current self. You are a passionate person. You have passion for certain things, mainly sea creatures, superheroes, LEGOs, and books. You were out on a weekend journey around the neighborhood with your papa and stopped to get ice cream and you said, "I only think about ice cream. I only think about ice cream. And mama." He already posted about this on the blog but it is so awesome I have to include it here. If you only think about two things, I guess I can be happy with that. I'm not happy about being second to ice cream but I can certainly understand why you made that decision. It's ice cream for heaven's sake. That being said, I don't think there is anyone who can get under your skin faster than I can. My new behavior manipulating ploy is the implied bribe. So I say, "Absolutely you can do this," when you make a request. "Have you made your bed yet?" Unfortunately, you have a nose for sniffing out trickery and have quickly figured out that you are essentially being bribed to do something. If you knew about shaking your fist in frustration, you would totally do that to me whenever you heard the word "absolutely" pass my lips.


This past month we learned about planets, and I had to sadly explain about the demotion of Pluto. That poor, misunderstood non-planet. We also learned about weather patterns and seasons. We charted a week's worth of weather, which involved several packages of weather-themed stickers and a poorly drawn weekly calendar. Through a series of clicks on the iPad YouTube app you found this show called Dino-Riders. It's like He-Man (ask your Uncle Nick about this) meets The Land Before Time with ammo. I think it's a crazy show but you like it. Your LEGO construction abilities are improving with a  specialty in constructing police vehicles for capturing bank robbers. For whatever reason, LEGO came out with about 13 little sets with the cops versus bank robbers theme. You now have this belief that bank robbers are everywhere.


In the game creation department, you created the Runaway Adventure Pea! game while eating peas for dinner. You pick up a petite pea and have it bounce and hop all over your plate. It has adventures and then you eat it. You have also been eating various combinations of food in your mouth at the same time or taking a drink of milk right after you take a bite of cookie so you can chew while both flavors are in there. It's a flavor sensation, son! You were quite bummed I would not try pear with green beans, peas, and corn. You described it as MMMmmm, YUMMY! I'll take your word for it. I envision how you're going to be in another five, ten, fifteen years. Even with our minor bumps in the road, you're so completely awesome. Plus, you help wash dishes so you're aces in my book, Bean.

Love,
Mama

No comments: