Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Library visit

We use often and love our local library. It's within walking distance although with as many book as we end up leaving with we often have to drive. The bag is too darn heavy to walk all the way home with. Perhaps we should get a wagon? Anyway, I typically walk in thinking we're just going to get a few. There's less chance we'll lose one and I'll have plenty of time to read and reread them during the two weeks I have them for. Alas, we almost always leave with 20 books or more. I find books in the New Fiction section that are far too tempting to pass up and Hen hits the preschooler/learning to read aisle and goes nuts. He knows exactly where on the shelves he needs to go to find books on nature and critters. We have, in fact, checked out several books multiple times. The routine is to get the books home and then spend as much time as we can making the through the initial reads of all the books (minus mine, of course). With cold fall and winter weather having arrived, it is particularly nice to know that we can while away the time enjoying great books, learning about things, laughing over silly stories and hanging out.

Our recent haul included the following:

  1. The Night Santa Got Lost: How NORAD Saved Christmas
  2. Ice Bear: In the Steps fo the Polar Bear
  3. National Geographic Kids: Dinosaurs
  4. Meet Mammoth
  5. Mostly Monty
  6. Nate the Great on The Owl Express
  7. Stink and the Incredible Super-Galactic Jawbreaker
  8. Snakes: Slither and Hiss
  9. Slinky, Scaly Snakes
  10. Snakes Are Hunters
  11. Hip-Pocket Papa
  12. Once There Was a Tadpole
  13. A Place for Fish
  14. A Place for Frogs
  15. Turtle
  16. The Fabulous Flying Machines of Alberto Santos-Dumont
  17. Lion
  18. Fox All Week
  19. National Geographic Kids: Caterpillar to Butterfly
  20. Silk & Venom: Searching for a Dangerous Spider
  21. Photo Jojo!: Insanely great photo projects and DIY ideas (for me)
  22. Calico Joe (for me)
  23. Raylan* (for me)
  24. Pity the Billionaire (for me)
  25. The Price of Inequality (for me)
*Not my usual reading material but I swear I heard someone else recommend Elmore Leonard and the bonus is I can picture Timothy Olyphant's depiction of Raylan from Justified while I read.



1 comment:

Dr. A said...

Great haul! We love the libraries too. At any given time we typically have between 12 and 20 kid books checked out. LIke the selections too. Maybe this could be a new co-member blog with what titles we have checked out?