Saturday, May 18, 2013

Preschooler philanthropy

A few weeks ago we raided Hen's piggy bank for Quarter Day. We counted up all the quarters (and dollar bills), headed up to the bank, and opened a savings account. The total - just over $100 - was roughly divided by three. Hen deposited $35 in his brand new savings account, kept $35 in his pocket, and chose where to donate the remaining $30. Since there are far too many charitable options, I narrowed his choices to the Oregon Humane Society (explaining that this was where we got Beauty the wonder dog) and Heifer International (a personal favorite). Hen picked Heifer Intl and today, whilst at the computer, I finally remembered we needed to complete the donation process. He selected a share of a piglet and a flock of chicks to buy for families in need. If you have a favorite charity, send them our way. Dime Day is just around the corner.

4 comments:

Megan said...

LOVE Heifer Intl. One year at Christmas a bunch of friends got together and pooled our money to buy animals instead of giving each other gifts. Totally rad.

Megan said...

If you do Kiva, then you get to keep reloaning, though I love Heifer as well.

Dr. A said...

Way to go on the money management lessons!
I second Kiva. Also in PDX I loved the Children's Relief Nursery.

Abcdpdx said...

I grew up visiting the Heifer Ranch, so it is close to my heart. I love Human Solutions as a local organization.