Friday, October 11, 2013

Book Fifteen: 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel / 1 Dog = Chaos by Vivian Vande Velde

I have to start counting these smaller books I read to Hen, otherwise my book count for the year is highly inaccurate. Every book I finish for the little one might not be War and Peace but it should still count, so long as there are chapters and it isn't a picture book. Note: I'll exclude Magic Tree House books and any book with less than 100 pages to be as fair as I can be. Also, I won't go back and add all of the books I've read him so far this year.

In related news, I have been volunteering at the school library two hours every week (plus additional work for the book fair, book sale, and book club party). I have learned to cover the books and it is so much fun I'm seriously considering buying the necessary items so that I can add book jacket covers to all the hardback books in Hen's home library. Yep. I'm gonna do it! Anyway, all this to say that the reason we found 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel / 1 Dog = Chaos is because our librarian, Molly, hosts a book club for varying ages and the kids read from a couple of lists that are comprised of books being considered for various awards. The list Hen and I are using is the Beverly Cleary Children's Choice Award list. Molly selected several books from that list. If Hen and I get through them all between now and near the end of March, he'll get an invite to come to the party at the library (which I'm helping to plan - woot!). It is okay for parents to read the books to their kids but the kids have to write a summary of the story and then state if they would or would not vote for the book. Here's what Hen had to say about this book. Note: I asked him questions and wrote down his answers.
Twitch and Cuddles mess up the classrooms at school by ramming into things and the paint splatters off. The dog is chasing the squirrel because the squirrel stepped on his nose. And he was running so fast after Twitch the leash broke. They meet a turtle, geckos, a parrot. Visiting Artist comes and he likes their art.
Would you vote for this book?
Yes, because it is the best book ever.

What I liked about the book: Unbeknowst to Hen, he was hit over the head with a frying pan of literary elements like narrative point-of-view and narrative voice. Each chapter is told from the perspective of either the squirrel, the dog or one of the eight class pets. Hen experienced a few major episodes of chortles during the reading of the story and has requested I read the last couple of chapters again and again.

15 down plus 37 to go.

No comments: