Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Book twenty-one: Lake Como by Anita Hughes

I am quite convinced that St. Martin's Griffin is a pseudonym for Harlequin. I give ye this example to prove my point. Please note the first sex scene begins on page three.
"He pulled Hallie down and covered her with his body. Peter was built like a runner: long legs, narrow hips, thin, angular shoulders. But when he made love he was like a wrestler, pinning her to the bed. She loved the feel of his chest rubbing against hers, his tongue exploring her mouth.
Hallie felt Peter's breath hot against her cheek. He opened her legs and slid deep inside her. She felt their bodies push and pull as if they were playing a child's game of tug-of-war."
1. I can't get over the imagery of children playing a game of tug-of-war and can't figure out how that, in any way, is similar to their lovemaking.

2. I can tell you there has been one (or two?) other sex scenes and he's always going "deep".

3. Do I care if he runs a lot and fucks like a wrestler?

4. I'm totally grossed out by the "chest rubbing" description. Ewww.

Perhaps I'm not being fair. I mean, Ms. Hughes wrote a book, and got it published! And all I'm doing is pissing on it. Not very nice, is it? But the premise of this book is just like every other book I read during my middle school years (shout to Danielle Steele, yo!). Girl is with the wrong guy and that relationship ends for whatever reason - could be he cheats on her, he might die, he might go missing and she later finds out he had a second family, etc. Girl is conflicted about where she wants her life to go. She goes, in this book, to an exotic location (see title of said book), which is less exotic since part of her family lives there. She meets a new guy. He's fabulous but behaves in some way that makes it difficult for her to trust him. Yet, in the end she gets the guy, she ends up with a fabulous career, and she finds out she is an actual princess. Oy vey.

If the above description is appealing, this would be a good book to pack if you're traveling and want a light, easy read.

21 down plus 31 to go.




 

No comments: