Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Book fifty-two: The Big Tiny: A Built-It-Myself Memoir by Dee Williams

I DID IT! This makes book 52, which means I have officially hit my goal for the year. Woot! And woohoo!

Williams' memoir explains the life event that became the catalyst she needed to retool her life - she got rid of her things, sold her house, and built her own tiny house to live in. Her life has been the better for it.

I am fascinated by the concept of micro-living. If I could figure out a way to live that way and still have enough space for my books, husband, kid, cat, and baking supplies, I just might go for it.

Williams is honest and funny without any offensive holier-than-thou judgments on people who don't follow in her footsteps. She's also inspiring. She wasn't an expert contractor, carpenter, electrician, and plumber. But she was an avid reader and know both what and how to research. I would really love to do a project like this with Hen someday. I think it would be amazing to spend a summer or two or three designing, building, and occasionally living in one of these tiny homes. Like I said earlier, I just need to figure out a design that'll fit all my stuff (or a good portion of it anyway).

52 down - I'm done!*

*(But I'm going to keep on going because I've got the third book in that trilogy I need to finish. And I still haven't ready that J.K. Rowling book. And I picked up a bunch of books at Powell's the other day, including another José Saramago (Blindness, Seeing, etc.) book. So many books, so little time.)

No comments: