Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Book thirty-seven: The Unforgettable Photograph by George Lange with Scott Mowbray

Play music, shoot often, try a variety of places and poses, look for light, be goofy sometimes, be serious other times, change your perspective, get in close, etc. These are the types of tips Lange shares in his book. What I like is that with almost every photo in the book he provides the settings. You know what the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture was at the time the shot was taken, and he also tells you the focal length of the lens used.

I've taken a couple of classes from Zeb Andrews and he has a considered approach to shooting so the repeated message of Lange's to keep shooting repeatedly didn't resonate with me. Sure, there are times when blind shooting will likely render something of interest, but that is leaving too much to chance. Whereas if you are more thoughtful with how you set up a shot, you're more likely to get the type of shot you were hoping for.

I'm sure I'll continue to use this book as a reference and for inspiration. Hen is going to like me telling him to jump on the hotel bed, for sure.

37 down plus 15 to go.

No comments: