Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Book thirty-five: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

I picked this up at the Used Book Sale and as I was discussing the hype over the book with a couple volunteers a woman at the sale came up to pay. She told me she really liked the book but hated the ending. Hated, hated, hated it. And then she told me she hated it again.

It turns out I'm just fine with the ending. Thank goodness the criticisms of a stranger didn't prevent me from giving it a try.

Station Eleven is another dystopian novel. There is an outbreak that infects people. Most are killed, a few remain. The story weaves back and forth so the reader learns who the main cast of characters are both before and after the event.

There is a roving band of thespians that travel from settlement to settlement performing Shakespeare. A self-published graphic novel, Station Eleven, ties them together.

That one lady at the sale didn't like the ending but I did. Take from that what you wil.

35 down plus 17 to go.

No comments: