Thursday, April 21, 2016

Book thirty-seven: What Are You Glad About? What Are You Mad About? by Judith Viorst

Poetry for kids is amazing.

After reading a book of poems by Viorst a few years ago Hen composed an awesome poem and I've already decided we'll read this book together and I'll encourage/force him to write again. The poems he writes are awesome and I love that he is learning how to express his thoughts about the world in this way.

Viorst's What Are You Glad About? What Are You Mad About? examines feelings kids have about life, school, family, the seasons, and a whole lot more. A few of my personal favorites include Much More Than Terrified, where a young boy knows there is something lurking in the closet and knows he is fearful but wants to check it out anyway, and A Cautious Daffodil haiku…

Yesterday, some frost.
Tomorrow, maybe more frost.
Do I dare come out?

And No Reason and Toes and This Substitute Teacher is Really Into Rhyming and… I could go on but I shan't. You should just check out this book for yourself, and then share it with a child you know.

37 down plus 15 to go!
 

No comments: