Sunday, September 04, 2016

Book fifty-eight: The Underneath by Kathi Appelt

Wow. I mean, just, wow. I cannot say enough good things about this book.

I loved, loved, loved it! And, of course, cried buckets of tears at the end because it was so frickin' beautiful.

The story of Ranger the dog, chained to the tilting house, and Sabine and Puck, the two kittens is told at the same time as this secondary story about Grandmother, waiting to escape her jar prison, and her granddaughter and her husband and their daughter. And, oh my goodness, it is just beautiful.

It redefines family and shows what forgiveness can do. It teaches us about the broken people who live amongst us, some who cannot be reached. It deals with loss and love, with unrelenting cruelty and the will to survive even the worst of circumstances.

This book is definitely a top contender for my favorite book of the year. It really is just amazing. 


58 down and still going strong!

No comments: