Sunday, April 22, 2018

An Evening with Author Kwame Alexander


Hen and I attended an event at the Alberta Rose Theatre Friday night to listen to author and poet Kwame Alexander. I read one of Alexander's books last year - Booked - and liked it. I almost wish authors who write novels in verse would give the reader tips on how to read it because how I read his work and how he did were vastly different. (Note: His reading was far superior to my own.) After listening to how Mr. Alexander read various excerpts, I am tempted to read his stuff again. What a gifted author and how lucky we were to see him. Hen did not initially want to go but he was really into it by the end. There were several instances when Kwame was reading and he deftly led the audience to the right words to end each verse. Hen had a lot of fun doing that and was the loudest on the verse that ended with 'butterfly'. We walked away with a signed book of Kwame's latest work, Rebound, which I'm sure we'll read when we finish our current book of choice, The Mostly True Story About Jack by Kelly Barnhill (another Newbery award winner).

No comments: