Sunday, June 09, 2013

Book seven: The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner

I guess this book is classified as chick lit. Whatever. It was an entertaining and quick read and, quite frankly, I need me some of those if I have any hope of ending the year with an acceptable tally of books read during the year. 

Ruthie is a writer. She's also an accident survivor who was raised by her grandmother after her parents were killed in said accident. She is disfigured. While it is clear the scars come from the accident, I was never able to piece together a picture of what she looked like in my mind. 

Ruthie and her grandmother move to L.A. Ruthie is fortunate enough and smart enough to live within her means and make good financial choices. Money is never concern. And perhaps that is a good thing. If one side of your face is deeply disfigured, well, isn't that more than you need to worry about. If Weiner also gave her a hefty credit card debt and no means in which to satisfy it, that would just be cruel. But I digress. 

They move, she starts working at a studio, she eventually gets a show picked up by a network and chaos follows. There are two failed attempts at relationships, a show that is manipulated by outsiders until it no longer resembles what was originally written, and more.

7 down plus 45 to go. (Ha! Yeah right.)


No comments: