Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Any Place I Hang My Hat

Any Place I Hang My Hat earns a 3.25. The most refreshing part of this book is the strength displayed by the main female character. Abandoned by her mother at an early age, she is raised by her father, when he isn't in prison, and a grandmother who succumbs to Alzheimer's. She manages to attend Harvard and become a journalist at a respected albeit not widely read publication. The one thing I noticed, is that a lot of the books I've read recently have an über-wealthy friend in the supporting character role, as if one of those is so easy to attract when you are making $40K a year and can hardly afford a 300 sq. ft apartment in New York. Amy spends her time chasing story leads while searching for information on her own past. With a parallel storyline, the reader is presented with two possible conclusions to uncovering your past, discovering who you are, and gaining the acceptance needed to move forward.

No comments: