Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

No spoilers here. We haven't finished the book yet and we wouldn't be that cruel. The book arrived yesterday morning at 9:45am. (See the significance? Platform 9 3/4...Quite the sign, eh?) We shoved a freshly baked scone at the U.P.S. delivery guy, who was carrying a second H.P. book to deliver to someone else in the building, gobbled down our breakfast, and hit the bed, where we stayed all day reading the book, taking intermittent breaks for food and water replenishment. We quit shortly before midnight over halfway through the book. Ron and Harry had just gone into -- (I'm just kidding, I'm not going to say what happens.) This morning was more of the same. With any luck, we'll be able to finish the remaining 200+ pages tonight when I get off work after we grab some Chinese takeout from Wong's King. I think it's Darr's turn to read next, we alternate chapters, and if memory serves Hagrid and Voldemort were dueling -- (Seriously, where's the trust?) I can't wait until our lil' Resident Alien is into books so we can make a big deal out of the book's arrival and spend the day, or perhaps more realistically an hour or two, reading together. Hope all the other Potter fans are enjoying their books as much as we are.

8 comments:

B. E. Busby said...

OK -- I know this isn't Harry related, but involves another major mythical critter -- Godzilla.

This has to be one of the oddest, dumbest, most strangely compelling U-Tubes I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOlcqQUdfQY

Svetla said...

You were lucky! We've got our copy around 3pm on Sat ... so I still have 200 more pages to go through :) can't wait for my lunch break to begin ...

Christie said...

Lunch break?! You should have taken the day off or, um, accidentally-on-purpose gotten sick so you could stay home and read. Isn't it great?

Christie said...

I don't have words to form a comment for Godzilla Hates Cats.

B. E. Busby said...

I just liked the fact it had Godzilla located in your lovely home town, designing web sites... the only redeeming feature.

Jen said...

HOOORAY! Finally! I know what happens!

I scared the piss out of the UPS guy... I was preparing breakfast for myself and I saw his head go by, I bolted to the door and flung it open just as his knuckles hit the door. He jumped back about five feet, poor guy.

I devoured the book and forgot to eat all day. Oops :) And I DEFINITELY would have called in sick if I had pages to finish ;)

Leah said...

I can't believe how many people I have seen walking around with those books! At the doctor's office, on the street, at the concert we went to last night....! Dan and I usually wait until the book comes out on paperback, but we might have to deviate this time.

Christie said...

Yeah, the doorbell rang at our place and Darr and I both rushed the door. Then we were running around like chickens with our heads cut off as Darr tried to keep the animals from escaping (Mabel ran into the hallway) while I shoved a scone at the guy.

I wonder if UPS tracked the increase in deliveries and crunched the numbers to show the extra work created by the release of the final book.