Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Industrious child

This is not a post about my child. Nay, it is about some industrious girl living in the burbs who I'd say is probably trying to earn cash to go to band camp or space camp or some camp that guarantees access to a high quantity of nerdy folk. Last night, after returning from a visit from our friends who live in the area we found a piece of paper stuck in Brother Nick's front door. Since it was just folded over I thought it might be a note for us housesitters. Probably something that would read: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE GLYNNS? WE'RE WATCHING YOU. THE POLICE HAVE BEEN CONTACTED.

Instead, much to my delight and surprise, we got this:

Just you, your Beloved...and the kids
There's a time and a place for family bonding but not with reservations at a nice restaurant for two.

Tests have shown that time to yourself is important for a young growing family. For times like these you need a babysitter.
However, where are you going to find one for a reasonable price?

I'm Nicky*, 14 years old, certified babysitter; and ready to help
<insert phone numbers for home and cell here>
I can come to watch, care, and entertain you children. Did I happen to mention to feed them too!

I particularly love the "tests have shown" part. This girl is truly a gem and if she wouldn't mind hauling her butt out to Sellwood for a night every now and then I'd hire her. (After meeting her parents, of course.) Which brings me to this thought...does anyone know anyone in the Portland metro area of babysitting age? I need to make me some reservations at a nice restaurant for two.



*Name has been changed and partially omitted to protect her identity

6 comments:

Cathy said...

That's awesome. I would love to find a note like that at my front door - we're searching (not very hard) for a non-family member to babysit for nights out.
Plus - I totally did something very similar to that in HS and landed myself 4 families that would call weeks in advance for a Friday night out. And pay me to watch their kids for an hour, put them to bed, then sleep on the couch 'til they got home 5 hours later.

Christie said...

If you would let me and we lived near each other, I would love to sit your boys. They are too cute for words and would be great companions for Henry.

I had a similar gig in high school. A single mom down the street was a nurse who worked the night shift three or four times a week. Probably the easiest money I ever made since they went to bed shortly after I arrived.

Amber said...

Andrew and I are both old enough to babysit. ;) And Avery is an awesome helper. And Josie (when she's germ-free of course) would love a little playdate. Just sayin'.

Steenhuis Clan Member said...

Alexandra is totally ready. She'll even come to your house if you prefer!

I do have other names & numbers that I can pass on offline.

Dr. A said...

We've been trying to groom the neighbor girl for sitting - she's the oldest of 5, but she's only 13. What's a good age for them to start?

We're always good for sitting too! Erin just loves hanging around with M. Henry!

Megan said...

Henry is more than welcome to come over here whenever you want a date night! It's out of your way, I know, but bear that in mind. We are more than happy to watch him. :)