Saturday, July 26, 2008

Oodles of hoodoos

Day two started after a fitful night of sleep for me. Every time Henry coughed or I coughed or car drove by or people walked on the path next to the resort, I woke up. Every time Henry moved, I bolted up in order to catch him from falling over the edge of the bed. (He wasn't even close to falling.) By two o'clock in the morning, I gave up trying to sleep for a while and started reading another book from the recommended reading list. ("A Civil Action" - the book was later made into a movie with John Travola.) When Henry and I woke this morning, Ann was dressed and busy checking out maps of the area. Today's destination - Bryce Canyon.
Pretty much everything we want to see requires a bit of a drive from where we are staying. For the most part, Henry has been a trooper but I have to give credit to Ann who has been our chauffeur while I sit in the back with Henry and try to keep him entertained. (And, it's rather embarrassing to admit, I napped a bit, too.) There are only so many times you can read "I Know a Rhino," and it is a lot less enjoyable to listen to when your voice sounds like that of a chain smoker suffering from end-stage emphysema. It didn't take too long to drive through the park and check out the various vistas. We stopped at all of them although I didn't get out to see the last one as Henry had fallen asleep and I didn't want to drag him out of the car when we were just going to get right back in it and continue driving. Sightseeing wears this little guy out. I did learn that hoodoos are more abundant in Bryce Canyon than anywhere else in the world. I hope this means it is listed in that book "1000 Places to See Before You Die: A Traveler's Life List" so I can check off one more item and reduce the pressure I've felt to travel since I received that book from my friend last Christmas. Hoodoos are gorgeous. There were a surprising number of foreigners vacationing in southern Utah. Who knew? A bunch of little German girls spotted a chipmunk and I was able to get a shot of the bugger before he scampered off the trail and over the cliff. (Presumably, he knew where he was going and didn't, um, unexpectedly perish.)We ended our day with a trip to the closest town to stock up on supplies. Living in Portland we are quite spoiled. I am a walk away from New Seasons, where I can buy any number of tasty, organic items and there is a huge selection of fruits and vegetables. And if they don't have what I need, Zupan's is just across the river. Here, in the land called Brian Head, there is one country store called Apple Annie's. To be fair there is food there but it's the kind of food (think Twinkies) that might survive a nuclear blast. The vegetables were limited to onions and tomatoes. It's difficult to make Henry a meal out of that. So today when we landed at what appeared to be a regular old grocery store, I went through it like a mad woman. What will Henry be eating the rest of the week? Pear and apple sauce, bananas, blueberries, string cheese, cheddar cheese, potatoes, yams, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, and perhaps some spaghetti noodles. Ann and I will share some of those things and have beer. Mmm beer.

1 comment:

VDog said...

Ugh re: sleep thing. At least Henry is completely delicious!

Enjoy your trip. ;)