Monday, August 11, 2008

Doctor's orders

My doc is advising me to DRINK BEER. This afternoon I received a call from my doc's office and the nurse I spoke with advised me that my doc wants me to try drinking beer with a high quantity of brewer's yeast to help increase the milk supply. I guess if you were wondering why I like my current doctor that mystery is pretty much solved now, eh? So, does anyone know of a specific beer that has a lot of brewer's yeast I should be consuming?

On a side note, I'm also taking Fenugreek tablets three times a day and am going to try consuming oatmeal for breakfast to see if that helps.

I'll be happy if I can continue for Henry's first year but my goal is to hit the two year mark. I remember a time, pre-baby, when the thought of a kid who was walking on his own who was breastfeeding sort of freaked me out. I used to think that was weird. I don't anymore. There's some agency in the U.S. that recommends one year - which agency escapes me right now...CDC? AAP? But the World Health Organization recommends continuing to breastfeed your child beyond two years, if possible.

3 comments:

Dr. A said...

Mothers Milk tea works well for me too. And I find it really yummy.

I love your doctor too. Doesn't heffe have high amts. of yeast? You should consult with the good folks at Bridgeport. If you need help with research....

Rachele said...

I struggled with low milk supply so I am a veritable font of suggestions for boosting milk supply. I never tried these cookies below, but they are supposed to be super yummy and boost lactation. Doctor's orders! Not that you have time to hunt for ingredients and bake right now....

I have a friend who swears by morning oatmeal as well as staying hydrated ALWAYS.

Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies

Ingredients :

- 1 cup butter or marg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (healthfood store)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them (steel cut will be too dense)
- 1 cup or more chocolate chips (if you like a lot of chips, add more)
- 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast (be generous) (healthfood store also)

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Steenhuis Clan Member said...

Avocados were my trick.

On another note, I'm excited to hear you're following my hippie ways. Breastfeeding a toddler isn't so weird now that I have one and A limited it to morning and night after about 18 months. She recently decided on her own she doesn't need it that much. Such a wonderful natural transition that I support long-term BF even more.

Good for you!