Friday, September 12, 2008

Lucky number 17

Henry is gaining weight! Woot! At his latest weight check, Monsieur Henry was up to 17 lbs. Our diet of Oreo cookies (he likes the icing, a lot), Häagen Dazs ice cream (fleur de sel caramel ice cream is his favorite), Kraft Mac n' Cheese and the like appears to be working. Now, you might be thinking "well, that doesn't sound like a very good menu for a baby," and you'd be right. We didn't think so, either. Which is why we were steaming and pureeing Henry's food from the start, using vegetables we got from our CSA (Luscher Farm) and picking up the rest at New Seasons. I bought a book and was kept busy preparing such favorites as cheesy leek puree and parsnip, spinach, and potato puree, and Henry's favorite, apple and pear puree w/ raisin and cinnamon. Our doctor assures us we can resume healthier options once we are no longer at the critical mark for weight. Until then, I'm not even going to feel guilty about his craptastic diet.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, I'm so happy that he's finally gaining weight - I can't imagine how stressful and frustrating this must have been for you. In the meantime, Henry, enjoy your craptastic diet! I, for one, am jealous.

Darren said...

I have never willingly given my ice cream to anyone.

I guess kids really do change everything.

Noir said...

Fleur de Sel is AWESOME! Kid has good taste.

Cathy said...

Congrats on the weight gain! That's great news - I suppose it only makes sense that the foods that make us as adults put on a few extra pounds would help an almost one year old pack 'em on!

Abcdpdx said...

yay! that is awesome! one man's craptastic is another baby's nourishment!!!!

Dr. A said...

Woot woot! It's further proof you are the product of your parents, dear Henry. Some people would never think to try fleur de sel caramel ice cream. I love this new diet!