Friday, December 12, 2008

What's hanging on your tree's branches?

A fairly recent addition, this cat and fish ornament was a gift from Darr's stepmom a few years ago. The little fish moves along the wire underneath.
Who wouldn't love a little mouse hanging from a Christmas wreath, I ask ye. What can I say? I went through a phase where I loved mice. I have many mouse ornaments but this is one of my favorites.
My mom made this for me in 1982. Each of us kids got a personalized ornament (I have three siblings) and when we moved out, we got to take our ornament with us. I love the stitching and the fact that it is poofy.
When my mom and dad were first married they didn't have a lot of money so my mom handmade gingerbread men out of felt to hang on the Christmas tree. I have a couple in different colors that now hang from my tree.
Ah, the boot ornament. My brother made this boot for me all by himself. Well, with the help of our next door neighbor, who was like an honorary grandma to us when we were growing up. Sequins and beads and pins pushed into the foam form of a boot. Classic ornament goodness.
My mom used to host these Tupperware-like parties by Christmas Around the World. Us kids would get to help spend some of the earnings on ornaments for ourselves. This was one of my first purchases and I still love it because it is so damn cute.
This Santa comes from my great-grandma and is easily the oldest ornament hanging on the tree.
My sister-in-law introduced me to Lenox ornaments last year when we went shopping during the holidays. I fell for this one with Lucy and Snoopy. To state the obvious, Snoopy is kissing her and she is sticking her tongue out in disgust. Nothing says Christmas like sloppy dog kisses.
The best part of my Sebastian the crab ornament is that I got him in a Happy Meal at McDonalds.

1 comment:

Leah said...

The mouse is super cute!!! No shame in liking mice. I also like snoopy (I'm a sucka) and the old santa. That's vintage-cool, sista. xoxo