Monday, March 30, 2009

It Sucked and then I Cried

I took a night off from mommying and went to Powell's to see Heather Armstrong, world-renowned blogger extraordinaire of Dooce.com, who has just published It Sucked and then I Cried, a book in which she explains her first pregnancy and the subsequent breakdown she experienced. And, yes, that is one helluva run-on sentence. 
In a word, Mrs. Armstrong is awesome. She came in wearing a tight red shirt and black slacks that accentuated her seven-month pregnant frame, and with ultra curly hair she apologized for - apparently she went a little curling iron happy as she was prepping for the night. Her Tennessean drawl is up front and personal and, in case you're wondering, her arms are quite long and gangly - she mentions this whenever she blogs about dancing.
She read two passages out of the book - one on boobs, the other on sex. She was witty and delightful and open and honest, which is probably why she is so frickin' popular. 

4 comments:

Amber said...

So funny. I read her blog a lot but would never have guessed that she has a Tennessean drawl. I find her honesty about motherhood so, so refreshing. People who pretend like it's a cakewalk every day kind of piss me off.

Cathy said...

I was wondering if you were going to go see her. She was in Oakbrook, not far from me, and I couldn't go because my work was having an art auction/poetry slam. I haven't picked up the book yet, I'm wondering if it's some of the same stuff on her blog?
Whenever I have oodles of time, I like to read through her archives of when Leta was younger. So honest, she is.

Christie said...

I almost didn't go because I figured I could get the book for about $10 cheaper on amazon.com and I was questioning why I needed an autographed copy. I'm glad I did, though. I've already started and it's great so far. (No surprise there, eh?) She might have referred to the blog to refresh her memory about how/when things happened but it's not taken directly from the blog. She was discussing the process of writing just briefly in a Q&A session after she read the passages and she described it as using different muscles to do things like twitter, blog, and write a manuscript.

Abcdpdx said...

I HATED missing this! too bad I found cheap tickets to Arkansas. I'll bet it was awesome!