Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Little Gym

Yesterday Monsieur Henry and I went to The Little Gym and invited Miss Avery and Megan to join us*. It was AWESOME. (If you watch How I Met Your Mother, you should know I'm channeling Barney Stinson when I type the word "AWESOME".) Anyway, the gym is a big open room with mats galore and those big climbable foam pieces and at least one balance beam that is mere inches off the ground. It's bright and cheery and an all-around pleasant place to be. The 45-minute session begins and ends with a quick song. And yes, there was singing throughout but it wasn't annoying singing, it was cute toddler singing. I didn't have a watch on me but it felt like we had approximately 15 minutes of structured play time. The free trial session we attended focused on upper arm/body strength and so for a short while we were all wheelbarrowing our kids around the mat. The rest of the time the kids were free to roam about the gym as they pleased. For Henry this meant dashing to and fro with quirky toddler abandon. And then came the BBPs. It began with bubbles. Our instructor used one of those multi-bubble blowers that kick out a gazillion bubbles at a time and Henry finangled his way to the front, where he stood before her signing more more more more more more more more more in the frantic manner of an addict in need of another fix. This was followed by two giant containers full of BALLS. Balls. Balls. Balls. Yellow, green, red, purple, orange. Balls. Balls. Balls. Bouncing here and there and every other direction. I only saw Henry try and steal a ball from one kid so I'm considering that a parental victory. Given his love of all things ball, I'm frankly surprised he didn't round them all up and hoard them in a corner. When the time came for the balls to be returned to their container, there was the slightest hint of disappointment and then Henry was off and running again and all ball-related angst evaporated into the bright and cheery air. And finally, the parachute. This was Henry's first parachute experience. And it was so cool to watch because I loved the rainbow-colored parachute play time when I was in school. It's a rainbow-colored parachute, what's not to love, eh? Henry was standing tall under the parachute and reaching for the fabric as it dropped down around him. He had an absolute blast. Needless to say, we're going back. 

3 comments:

Amber said...

I (vaguely) know the owners of that place (if it's the same locale) and we loved going there back in the day. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and will go back because I got the feeling they were really struggling there for a while. I have to ask--what's the asterisk for?

Christie said...

I forgot the asterisk! Dang, I'm slipping. I was totally going to call you to see if you and Josie wanted to join us but she's in the next age group.

Cathy said...

Sounds awesome! Liam hated the parchute during our TotRock class we just finished up. It came out on 4 different days and each time he insisted I hold him and refused to go under with the other kids. He did, however, enjoy the balls! bubbles! and bells!