Friday, October 09, 2009

Recipe Corner: Bean Pot Vegetables with Bacon

I broke out our Bulgarian pots last night to make a dish using the many vegetables currently residing in our refrigerator. These pots have a touch of magic to 'em because everything ends up tasting really good and it's SO EASY! You cut up the veggies, throw 'em in the pot, place the pot in the oven and bake for about an hour. Once again, I insist you grab a pot or two for yourself if you ever get to Bulgaria. (I can't vouch for other Eastern European bean pots because I haven't used 'em.)

Ingredients:
1 med. tomato, diced
1 leek, cut into small pieces
1 red pepper, diced
1 large potato, diced
2 med. beets, peeled and diced
2-4 carrots, diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup homemade chicken broth
2-4 strips bacon (or more)

Directions:
Fry the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and place on paper towel. When cool, cut bacon into small pieces and distribute amongst bean pots, along with the vegetables. Add a pinch of salt and a little black pepper to each pot. Pour 1/4 cup chicken broth into each pot. Place lids on pots and put pots in oven. Heat oven to 350˚ F and bake until vegetables are tender, approximately one hour.

Remove from oven. Pour contents of pots into bowls and serve. (Grabbing a loaf of tasty bread to go along with your vegetable and bacon medley is a good idea.)

Serves 2 adults and 1 tot

3 comments:

Dr. A said...

Mmmm... sounds so warm, hearty, and delicious. My favorite part of the recipe is the gentle suggestion that more bacon can be used.

Elizabeth Prata said...

I had never heard of a Bulgarian bean pot before reading your post, but afterwards, all I wanted to do was buy one RIGHT NOW!

LOL, I have a Peter Pots casserole dish that I had forgotten about. Thanks to you, I'll make veggies in it like you described and see how it turns out. Thanks!
http://www.peterpotspottery.com/caandtu.html

Christie said...

Cool. You'll have to let me know how the food turns out. (Our bean pots have little holes on the top to let steam escape.)