Saturday, October 23, 2010

Reunited

Hen and Miss E, together again.

Let's talk about noise, shall we. As in the above photo has a lot of it. The lighting at night in the foyer of Caroline's was such that I had to set my ISO to 1600 (with my aperture set to f/1.4 and my shutter speed at 1/100) just to pull enough light in without using a flash to capture a photo I figured I could later tweak in Photoshop Elements. And tweak I did, my photog friends. Here's what the original picture looked like:
Can you say "yellow?" I tried using the auto fix in PSE but when that still left me with a yellow tinge, I manhandled the slider over to achieve a better color balance. Then I amped up the contrast and exposure and called it good. My camera is currently set to Noise Reduction Off because having it on means losing fine image detail and I likes me some crisp photos. But, honestly, as much as I like the edited version of this picture (at top), I think it would have been completely acceptable to use the flash in this instance. And doing so would have gotten rid of all that graininess you see.

1 comment:

Darren said...

It looks all old-timey cool. Very 70s'. Plus there's Erin, who we love.