Friday, November 12, 2010

Book club meeting numero uno

The book: That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo
The consensus: None of the characters were likable.
The meeting: Not a whole lot of conversation about the book because we all pretty much agreed on everything. So we ate and went onto talking about travels coming up (the Mexico!), kids, North Korea, etc.
Tips for our next meeting: Don't read the book months in advance because you'll forget nearly all plot points by the time the meeting rolls around.

My personal thoughts: I like a lot of Richard Russo's work so I was surprised when this one left me feeling a bit blah. There was one scene toward the end of the book that turned things around so I ended up giving the book 3 out of 5 on Goodreads. Also, the writing was good, at no point was I reading along thinking, "ah shucks, the characters all suck and the writing is bad." At least there was that, right?

Our next book, due in May: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

1 comment:

Abcdpdx said...

I am putting the next meeting on the calendar! for the record, I have read That Old Cape Magic and Empire Falls. I enjoyed Empire Falls, but, yeah, his latest book was very "meh." not a bad read, but not terribly memorable.